Saturday, September 4, 2010

A Post for la Rentree: What My Law Career Taught Me About Freelancing

Since everyone in France goes on summer vacation at roughly the same time, the return to normal life in September is called "la rentrée" (the re-entry). It's one of my favorite times of the year, not only because the weather tends to be at its best, but because Parisians are so unusually cheerful and I like the laid-back, almost careless way everyone eases into their regular routines. One is busy, returning phone calls, answering emails, getting kids ready for school -- but not stressed. It's as if the entire city has recently awoken, yawning and smiling, from a long, pleasant nap.

In the laid-back spirit la rentrée, I return to this blog simply by linking an article I recently wrote for FreelanceSwitch.com called "What My Law Career Taught Me about Freelance Writing." My life as lawyer definitely taught me a thing or two about how to run a freelance business.

Happy Autumn!

1 comment:

  1. So happy you wrote this Barbara! Very insightful and useful info for freelancers (myself included!)

    In regards to never saying no to a client, I LOVE the point: 'be sure to make the client pay for the privilege of working with a superhero'.

    ReplyDelete

7 Ways Freelancers Can Avoid Procrastination

When I first had children, I thought that they’d slow down my writing career.  And so they have. But in some respects, they’ve done ...